Connect with us

News

Gaza: South Africa levels accusations of ‘genocidal conduct’ against Israel at world court

Published

on

Gaza: South Africa levels accusations of ‘genocidal conduct’ against Israel at world court
The International Court of Justice is informed by South Africa that Israel is committing genocide against the Palestinian people.
In an attempt to put an end to the widespread murder of civilians in Gaza, South Africa addressed the UN’s highest court on January 11. Israel has categorically denounced as “baseless” the accusations that it is committing genocide against the Palestinian people in Gaza.

Google News Recentlyheard

Google News Recentlyheard

This occurred in the midst of the continuous, intense Israeli bombardment of the Gaza Strip in retaliation for the terror assaults on October 7th, which were spearheaded by Hamas and resulted in the deaths of around 1,200 Israelis and foreigners in southern Israel as well as the kidnapping of about 250 more.

Presenting their case before the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in The Hague, the South African legal team claimed that Israel has shown a “pattern of genocidal conduct” ever since it began its full-scale attack in Gaza, the 365 square kilometer territory it has controlled since 1967.

“Palestinian life is being destroyed by this killing. No one is spared—not even newborn babies—and it is done on purpose, the court heard.

Adila Hassim argued that Israel’s actions had exposed the 2.3 million residents of Gaza to an unparalleled degree of air, land, and sea attacks, which had resulted in the deaths of thousands of civilians as well as the destruction of houses and vital public infrastructure.

The South African lawyer claimed that Israel had also made it impossible for enough humanitarian aid to reach people in need, increasing the risk of malnutrition and disease-related deaths. All of this occurred “while bombs fell.”

Ms. Hassim told the court, “Palestinians in Gaza are subject to relentless bombing wherever they go.” She also mentioned how many people had died that many of them were buried in mass graves without identification. She said that another 60,000 Palestinians had been injured or left crippled.

“people are slaughtered while trying to get food and water for their family, at hospitals, schools, mosques, churches, and places where people take refuge. Even if they tried to travel via Israeli-declared safe routes, they would still have perished if they were unable to leave the areas to which they had gone.

South Africa claims in its lawsuit against Israel that during the first week of Israel’s reaction to the onslaught conducted by Hamas, 6,000 bombs were dropped on Gaza. According to Ms. Hassim, this included the deployment of 2,000-pound bombs at least 200 times “in southern areas of the Strip that were designated as safe” as well as in the north, where there were camps housing refugees.

Genocides “are never declared in advance, but this court has the benefit of the past 13 weeks of evidence that shows incontrovertibly a pattern of conduct and related intention that justifies a plausible claim of genocidal acts,” the speaker continued, adding that these weapons were “some of the biggest and most destructive bombs available.”

The duties of the Convention
The International Court of Justice (ICJ) justices subsequently heard that Israel had violated the Genocide Convention, a worldwide agreement signed by United Nations members following World War II to prevent crimes against humanity, as a result of these activities.

The Convention was “dedicated to saving humanity”, claimed John Dugard, also representing South Africa, and all countries that had signed up to the Convention “are obliged not only to desist from genocidal acts but also to prevent them”, he maintained.

The Israeli presentation will take place on Friday as the hearing continues.
Türk, the head of rights, denies “blood libel.”
In related news, the senior UN human rights officer has defended criticism of the Gaza incursion, claiming that pointing out “gross violations” of international humanitarian law is “not antisemitic.”

Volker Türk once again denounced “the shocking cruelty of the attack launched from Gaza by Hamas and other armed groups on October 7” in an article published in the Israeli newspaper Haaretz on Wednesday.

The UN rights head went on to say that the massacres that followed caused “intense and continuing trauma” throughout Israel before stating that the nation’s “campaign of overwhelming force” had been “tainted by grave breaches of international law.”

Mr. Türk also mentioned the ongoing rocket fire from Gaza into Israel, but he also expressed sadness that some Israeli officials had attempted to dismiss his Office’s concerns by calling them “blood libel”.

“Deploring the failure to hold Israeli soldiers and armed settlers accountable for the hundreds of Palestinian deaths in the West Bank since October 7 or the continuation of a war whose conduct has raised serious concerns regarding international humanitarian law and human rights violations is not a blood libel,” the UN human rights chief emphasized.

There is still diplomacy in New York.
Additionally, diplomats at UN Headquarters in New York passed a resolution in the Security Council on Thursday night with the intention of minimizing the fallout from the Gaza war, as they continue to strive for greater agreement on the Israel-Palestine conflict.

Ambassadors urged the Houthi rebels in Yemen’s Red Sea region to cease their attacks on foreign ships, claiming that such actions are in favor of Hamas militants and Palestinians.

Additionally, the Security Council is scheduled to convene this Friday afternoon to address worries about the possibility of Palestinians being forcibly removed from Gaza at the request of Algeria, a recently admitted member of the Council.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2017 RecentlyHeard. powered by WordPress.